Benefits of Adhesive:
Adhesive also known as glue, cement, mucilage, or paste, is any substance applied to one surface, or both surfaces, of two separate items that binds them together and resists their separation and requires small volumes.
- Improved Stress Distribution:
- One of the main benefits of choosing bonding over an alternate option like a riveted joint or spot weld is improved stress distribution.
- Ability to Fill Large Gaps:
- While the shear strength example speaks to close-fitting substrates, you might have an application where you need to fill a large gap. This is called potting or filling, and using adhesives in this application can improve structural integrity, encapsulate sensitive components, and dampen vibration or movement.
- Providing a Protective Seal:
- In addition to bonding, Adhesives also provide the benefit of a seal. This almost goes without saying, but can sometimes be an overlooked benefit.
- Joining Dissimilar Substrates:
- With assembly methods like welding, you’re limited to metal-to-metal or specific plastic-to-plastic attachment. But by using adhesives, you have the ability to bond a much wider range of substrates plastic-to-metal, glass-to-plastic and rubber-to-metal.
- Improving Aesthetics:
- Sometimes products have to look good as well as work properly. Adhesives can help improve the aesthetic of a product.
- Easy Automation:
- This kind of automation is happening on production lines for anything from automobiles to refrigerators.