Benefits of Copper sulphate crystal:
Copper sulphate also known as cupric sulphate. Crystals of Copper Sulphate are often bright blue and the substance is known once as blue copperas, and bluestone.
- Copper sulphate is use as a mordant in vegetable dyeing. It often highlights the green tints of the specific dyes.
- Copper sulphate is used to etch zinc or copper plates for intaglio printmaking. It is also used to etch designs into copper for jewellery.
3. Niche uses:
- In industry copper sulphate has multiple applications. In printing it is an additive to book binding pastes and glues to protect paper from insect bites, in building it is used as an additive to concrete to provide water resistance and disinfectant qualities.
- Copper sulphate is used as a colouring ingredient in artworks, especially glasses and potteries. Copper sulphate is also used in firework manufacture as a blue colouring agent, but it is not safe to mix copper sulphate with chlorates when mixing firework powders.
- Copper sulphate is used as an anti-fungal agent to protect seeds against fungus and to protect horse hooves from infection.
- Analytical reagent:
- Several chemical tests utilize copper sulphate. It is used in Fehling’s solution and Benedict’s solution to test for reducing sugars, which reduce the soluble blue copper sulphate to insoluble red copper oxide. Copper sulphate is also used in the Biuret reagent to test for proteins.
5. As a fungicide and herbicide:
- Copper sulphate pentahydrate is used as a fungicide. However, some fungi are capable of adapting to elevated levels of copper ions.